An Introduction

Welcome to my yoga blog, Dancing Frog Yoga, a resource designed for yogis of all levels. Are you new to yoga? Deepening your practice? This blog will touch on a little of everything and hopefully inspire you to keep exploring yoga, both on and off of your mat.

If you want to know more about me, Susan Quilty, please check out the About tab at the top of any page on this blog. The additional tabs show other information such as Yoga BasicsRecommended Reading and Yoga Fun Facts. Check them out to learn more.

I'm creating this blog to share my love of yoga and help me gather resources as I deepen my own practice. When I first came to yoga it was primarily for a physical practice, yet I was also exploring meditation and breathing exercises (pranayama) around the same time. I've had a general interest in philosophy for most of my life and I've been developing a deeper appreciation for mindful living.

After awhile, it became clear that all of these different interests actually fall under the same yoga umbrella. The more I study, the more I see how yoga fits into my whole life.

As this blog takes shape, I expect to cover a variety of subjects.

Here are some topics you're likely to find here:
  • Exploring Asana - An individual look at some common yoga poses.
  • Yoga Philosophy - Exploring different yoga concepts, such as the Eight Limbs of Yoga. 
  • Mindful Living - Bringing yoga off your mat and into your daily life.
  • Just Breathe - Thoughts and tips on pranayama (breathing) exercises and techniques.
  • Meditative Thoughts - Posts about the benefits and challenges of regular meditation.
  • Health and Healing - Ideas for healthy living and tailoring practice for injury or illness.

Posts may also explore the Six Branches of Yoga:
  • Raja Yoga (self control) - Based on the classical or "royal" yoga teachings, the Eight Limbs of Yoga as outlined in the Yoga Sutras by Pantanjali.
  • Karma Yoga (selfless service) - Serving others with no expectation of reward or gratitude.
  • Jnana Yoga (wisdom) - Learning and improving the mind; a quest for wisdom.
  • Bhakti Yoga (devotion) - The path of the heart; love and appreciation for everyone and everything.
  • Tantra Yoga (ritual) - Using rituals to experience the sacred in everything. 
  • Hatha Yoga (physical) - Practicing physical postures (asana), breath work (pranayama) and meditation for better health.
Whether you are new to yoga or have been practicing for years, I hope you will find something of interest. Thank you for stopping by and please come back again to see how the blog develops.

Namaste.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous when posting.